Our equine-assisted services help participants gain self-confidence and self-esteem, build strength, improve balance and hand-eye coordination, while forming meaningful relationships. Our programs are adapted to physical, social and learning challenges of children and adults with autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, development delay and other disabilities.
Incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in 1999, River Valley Riders (RVR) first served 18 horseback riders in 2000. In the earlier years, RVR relied on using arena space at leased facilities.
In 2009, RVR purchased 38 acres of land in Afton, Minnesota. Over the past 14 years, $2,000,000 in facility improvements on this site include outdoor and heated indoor arenas, office/classroom space with indoor bathrooms, paved driveway and parking lot, picnic shelter, storage buildings and trails. Capacity has increased from 18 to 100 participants, operating 4 days per week and 26 weeks per year.
A capital campaign to achieve our strategic plan will increase capacity and serve our participants full-time and year-round by completing our Afton facility dedicated to equine-assisted services.
Annual Budget: $326,300 – Earned Income, Foundations, Individual Contributions
River Valley Riders is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Marketing and Communications
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Number of members currently: 9
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Eastern Suburbs
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Committees: Executive, Finance, Fundraising
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes