East Side Arts Council (ESAC) is a multifaceted community arts organization rooted in a region that’s home to almost half of Saint Paul’s residents. The neighborhoods where ESAC works( East St. Paul) are extraordinarily diverse in terms of culture; they also include some of the highest poverty areas in the city. Operating out of a storefront on Saint Paul’s Payne Avenue, through a traveling Artmobile, and with outstanding artists who go to schools, parks, community centers and other accessible sites. ESAC is 30 years old and founded by people who live on the East Side.
The mission of the East Side Arts Council is to collaborate with our community and artists to celebrate and experience the arts. ESAC achieves its mission by:
- Offering programs with professional artists that mirror the diversity of the community
- Providing accessible, free quality art programs for children, adults and families
- Approaching tough neighborhood issues and celebrating community strengths through the arts
- Serving as an arts resource for individuals and organizations in our community
Artmobile: is a colorful van that visits open spaces on the East Side bringing artists to teach fun free drop-in arts classes for neighborhood children – many of whom lack access to camps and other summer activities due to economics.
ArtsInfusion/residencies: Artists from diverse cultures teach weeklong residencies uniquely designed for each school to infuse arts into core curriculum to increase learning.
Arts for Youth/After School Programs: Providing high-quality arts programs ranging in subject from visual arts to hip hop dance which allow elementary and middle school students access to free after school activities while also providing jobs to local artists Creative Connections for Seniors 62+: Free classes in artistic disciplines such as poetry, drawing, painting, and storytelling for seniors ages 62+ in community spaces
Gallery: Shows work from local artists for viewing and purchase, including paintings, sculpture, jewelry, and textiles Urban Design: Bringing public art such as sculpture and murals to open spaces creating neighborhoods where people want to live.
Goal 1: Maintain current programs and expand programs judiciously in 2023
- continue our educational outreach to include afterschool art classes at St. Paul middle and elementary schools
- 12 artist residencies infusing arts into core subjects
- Expand out of school summer programs with Artmobile and Summer Blast
- 10 series of 8-10 classes arts and poetry writing classes for Creative Connections for Seniors 62+
- Continue to show artists work in our gallery
- Art for families includes involvement in Creative Placemaking
Goal 2: Continue to meet ESAC’s financial needs.
- Continue to seek new sources to replace potential losses in grants and foundation giving.
Goal 3: Increase program and service visibility through improved marketing and communication.
- Implement a simple process for programs and events to capture info about the event and, photos/videos as needed, to be used in future communications.
Goal 4: Expand and strengthen the board of directors and core of volunteers.
- Continue to further develop the board recruitment process.
- Continue to develop a pipeline of volunteers.
Goal 5: Contribute to improving the visual identity, vibrancy, and community of ESAC neighborhoods good urban design.
Goal 6: Build ESAC’s capacity for artist advocacy
We are focusing on continuing to build back our programs to pre Covid levels and our partners are expanding their work and requests with us. Thank you for helping us maintain our work with them over the last couple years.
Annual Budget: $250,000 – Earned Income, Foundations, Government Grants or Contracts
East Side Arts Council is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Marketing and Communications
- Number of members currently: 5
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: St. Paul
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? No
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: No
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Committees: Finance, Fundraising, Other
- Length of Term: 3-4 Years
- Renewable: Yes